To be eligible for Line of Duty Act (LODA) benefits, the:
- Employee or volunteer must serve in an eligible position with a state or local government in Virginia.
- Qualifying death or disability must occur in the line of duty as the direct or proximate result of performance of duty, including presumptions as applicable (respiratory diseases, hypertension, infectious diseases, certain cancers and heart disease).
Who is eligible for LODA benefits?
Eligible employees of state agencies and local governments, including certain volunteers, may receive LODA benefits.
- Law enforcement officers
- Members of recognized fire companies and rescue squads
- Virginia National Guard
- Correctional officers
- Regional jail officers and superintendents
- See a full list in the Virginia Line of Duty Act Participant Guide.